are read aloud at the beginning of each PaperSurfing
- PaperSurfing (surf) takes 3 hours, including a twenty minute-break.
- There’s a 20-minute timer. This is the time for reading aloud and talking about each text.
- There is a 30-second timer for times of silence before and after reading aloud.
- If you want to read aloud first, start PaperSurfing by starting these two timers.
- As long as the 30-second timer is running, there is silence. Afterwards, the text brought along is read aloud without already commenting on it. After reading, there is another silence of 30 seconds.
- Clockwise, one after the other, it’s everyone’s turn to share a thought, an idea or ask a question.
- When the 20-minute timer has expired, the time for the next text begins. When it’s my turn to read aloud, I start both timers again and after the silence of 30 seconds I read out my text.
- After the third text, there is a break of 20 minutes.
- Once all the texts have been discussed, the PaperSurfing is over.
What I can do when surfing
- I speak from my heart and I’ll be brief.
When it’s my turn, I state what is most important to me. There are no right or wrong and no ‘better’ or ‘worse’ contributions.Either…
I describe a thought that came to me while listening to the text or during the conversation.
Or: I ask the person who has read aloud a question to which they can answer directly.
Or: I describe a thought that came to me ‘otherwise’.
Or: I ask an important question that remains unanswered.
Or: I for whatever reason pass on to the next one.
Or: I start a silence of 30 seconds – time to ‘listen’ for everyone.
When I’m done, I point to the left and pass it on to the next one.
- As a listener, I listen to what the speaker is saying and at the same time listen to what thoughts are developing inside of me.
- I can start a ‘speed round’. For everyone in the round, there are 30 seconds. This possibility exists when someone has finished speaking.
- I ‘lovingly’ make sure that the surfing rules are observed.